Could a breach of your customers’ data cheat you out of credibility and cost you thousands of dollars in fines? The two most important privacy issues you need to understand in Australia are:
- How to protect the privacy of your customers’ data
- How to secure your computer systems and software
Protecting Privacy is More than Publishing a Policy
Your customers need to know their personal information and bank details are secure.
Information Security Checklist
- Are your computer operating systems, browsers and anti-virus protections up-to-date?
- Do you have a risk management plan in case of a security breach where your customers’ details are accessed?
- If you have an e-commerce site do you have a valid https:// padlock icon?
- Do you retain sensitive information which requires a special level of security, such as customer credit card numbers and bank account details?
- Carefully consider which staff have access to your customers’ data
- Train your staff where to store data and how to secure data
- Avoid copying customer data to laptops or transportable storage devices, unless necessary
Relax with the peace of mind that you’ve covered your compliance obligations under the Australian Privacy Act. Protect your customers’ data by implementing good information security practices.